Wednesday 10 February 2010

Hey everyone!

Basically this week has been slightly unproductive in terms of actually getting things done, but I've set the wheels in motion and have began learning my way around the guild. Been having discussions with the VP welfare about my aims etc and how we should go about doing them.

I have been invited to the LBGTQ coffee afternoon to talk about the LBGTQ and disability's, the invitation is extended to disabled students who would like to join in this discussion. It will be taking place on the 24th of February between 12:00 and 15:00 and the location is to be confirmed -I will update you on this next week.

Also someone mentioned to me that wheelchair access to Pritchatts Road was difficult to buildings such as elms road, so I decided I would have a little wander around. Basically there is no ramp by the sports field, so one person said to me it took 40 minutes to get to Elm's road as they had to leave campus, go down St. Vincent Drive and then onto Pritchatts Road, however these roads are fairly busy with hospital traffic making it dangerous. However,if you go into the Muirhead tower then out the other side there is a lift that you can go down to get to the car park. However this may all seem a bit tedious, but may save a considerable length of time is you are going to this part of campus.

Also, I have started to think about strengthening the Disabled Students Association, which as many of you may know has been inactive for a number of years. I aim to ensure that it is a welcoming and accessible environment, that does a diverse number of events and campaigns representing everyone. Basically, its going to take a little while to really take off the ground, and I will work closely with the committee to make sure there is something for everyone. So basically, if you want to get involved please email me!!

Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment